Friday, May 10, 2019

Unexpected

OUCH! I didn't yell out loud but the pain was excruciating. You see, last Sunday I was sitting in church, a new church for us as we were just visiting, and all of a sudden I had this pain in my lower back. I didn't want to scream out loud and interrupt the worship. We were just visiting and I wanted to leave a positive impression. So I squirmed to get comfortable.
The preacher is really good. As I shifted around in my seat I thought he would NEVER get past his first point! A couple of times I wanted to leave but, as visitors, I didn't want them to think we were just walking out. The pain continued all the way through the invitation. When the last word was spoken we exited very quickly. I decided to skip lunch and go straight to the ER.
After a few tests and some pain medication, the diagnosis was a kidney stone on my left side. If you have had one then you fully understand the pain. I was directed to go home and drink gallons of water to help pass the stone. I drank until I floated but no stone was produced. I followed up with my urologist. Stone and size confirmed.
At this point I must tell you that I have a trip to Israel planned and paid. The doctor said I had a fifty percent chance of passing this stone. Time was not my friend. We decided to wait two more days to see if I could pass the stone. Well, no such luck. Yesterday I went in for a procedure to remove the stone and get on with life. The procedure was not successful, a few complications allowed me to keep the stone until I return from my trip. The stone can't move anymore and a stint was placed which would help things to calm down until the next procedure takes place (which will be more aggressive and complicated).
Unexpected!
These unexpected events can really mess up our plans and cause us to get get down and out. During these times friends can really lift us up with their prayers. Another encouragement I receive is from the promises and practices found in God's Word. I love to read the Psalms and be reminded of how great God is and all the works He has performed. Psalm 8 begins with,
"O Lord, our Lord, How excellent is Your name in all the earth, 
Who have set your glory above the heavens!"
The Psalm 9 says:
"I will praise You, O Lord, with my whole heart;
I will tell of Your marvelous works.
I will be glad and rejoice in You;
I will sing praise to Your name, O most High."

When the unexpected happens, return to the truth that you know about God!
My next kidney stone procedure is booked. The good news is that before that takes place, I get to walk in the Holy Land and worship the Lord!

From the Heart,
Pastor BR

1 comment:

  1. I have been where you are. Our plans don’t always line up with what God has planned! His ways are higher than our ways. Praying for you still my dear friend and brother!

    ReplyDelete

UPDATED TRAINING

 Recently I attended a training seminar sharpening my skills as a chaplain and minister. The training was centered around working with group...