Friday, February 23, 2018

Tommy Puckett

I will never forget his laugh! It was unique. If you knew Tommy Puckett then you know exactly what I'm talking about. He had a certain sound when he laughed that commanded your attention. Now he is walking and talking, and laughing for sure, with Jesus on the streets of gold.

I had heard of Tommy for many years through the Alabama Baptist State. Board of Missions (ALSBOM). He was a dynamic and creative leader in many areas in brotherhood, RA's, and Disaster Relief. He even has a lodge named after him at Shocco Springs Conference Center for his outstanding work in Men and RA ministries. He formed what is now the Alabama Baptist Disaster Relief ministry. He has trained countless volunteers in ministry across the great state of Alabama.

But I really got to know Tommy Puckett when I received a phone call from him in relation to searching for a new pastor for Santuck Baptist Church. He was chairman of the pastor search committee that did, in fact, call me to Santuck. Tommy was a pastor's friend. He knew the struggles of church life and the strains of serving in the ministry. We were able to spend a lot of time sharing together. We talked and prayed together seeking God's will. He challenged me to be a better pastor in so many ways and always assured me that he loved me and was praying for me. Tommy was a prayer warrior! When he prayed, things moved for sure. Even at his passing he was putting together a Prayer Boot Camp for our church. He served until his last breath.

Tommy had a vision for the church and a passion for its ministries. He served on our Vision Team helping to frame the future of the church. He served as Men's Ministry leader impacting all our men for the cause of Christ. He lead in the prayer ministry and helped develop our War Room. He did all this after he "retired" from the State Board of Missions.

He served his Lord at full capacity while taking care of his beautiful wife Elaine. While her needs are great, Tommy never faltered or wavered in his love and care for her. I truly don't know how he did so much! With tears in his eyes, he would share how concerned he was for the health of his wife. He would speak of how blessed he was to provide for her needs.

Although many people in the coming years may not know Tommy's name, they will be impacted by the passion of his heart. Each time a "yellow" shirt shows up at a disaster, many will be blessed because of Tommy's vision and development of that ministry. Others will be touched because he invested himself in other men, teaching them and discipling them as godly men. Their generations will be blessed because of the impact the Word of God has had on the men Tommy taught. Tommy was never short of a challenge to be a Godly praying man.

I will really miss my friend. I will miss a prayer warrior. I will miss a fellow laborer for the Kingdom of God. I will miss his laugh, hugs, and perfect hair! I will miss him sitting on the back row so his wife could park her motorized chair beside him and worship as a family. I will miss his words of encouragement. I will miss my friend and brother in the Lord!

From the Heart,
Pastor BR

1 comment:

  1. Amen, well said Pastor BR. I was so surprised, cause we just spoke with Tommy Tuesday at the Belles and Beues Luncheon. Prayers for the family and our church family.

    ReplyDelete

UPDATED TRAINING

 Recently I attended a training seminar sharpening my skills as a chaplain and minister. The training was centered around working with group...