Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Church Family

Recently I had surgery that caused me to be out for a few weeks. Certainly not the way I wanted to have vacation! While the recuperation time was necessary, I had a very difficult time being out of the pulpit. I'm not one to miss very often. My church family was, and is, very understanding. They are great prayer warriors that lifted me up daily. While my procedures were not life threatening, they did knock me down for a few weeks. I called on the staff to step in and they did a tremendous job!
I was reminded that being away from church can really get you down. Missing the sweet fellowship and powerful family worship experiences was depressing. I couldn't wait to return to my family of families! I know it is good to take a break from time to time for refreshment and renewal. There are times needed to re-charge the batteries. But I can't understand choosing to not be a part of a church family coming together each week to lift up the Savior and fellowship with believers. To willingly miss worship each week as a child of God is so disturbing. Have we forgotten the love of God? Have we dismissed the price He paid for our great salvation? Can we so easily dismiss lifting His name in praise because of someone or something else?
And yet, most churches find that less than half of their members actually attend on any kind of a regular basis. Churches with thousands on roll see only hundreds come. There are many reasons why this occurs but few would stand up to any scriptural test. I am sure of a few things:
           1. There is no perfect church
           2. You are not going to like everything and everyone all the time
           3. You will probably get your feelings hurt at some point
           4. You won't get your way all the time
           5. You probably aren't going to like all the staff all of the time
           6. Not every service will be to your liking
           7. You may not get visited every time you feel you should have

I am also sure that:
           1. The Lord loves you and wants you in church
           2. Jesus died so you could come
           3. The church loves you even when you don't agree
           4. Hearing biblical truth will challenge you
           5. Imperfect people in church will remain imperfect
           6. Being in church is better than disobedience
           7. You will be with church folks throughout eternity

I pray that you will be faithful to church as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. If you have just drifted away, make a commitment to come back this Sunday. If you have been hurt, forgive and come back as this is being more like Jesus. If you don't like someone, follow scripture and pray for them and then return to worship. Don't let the devil rob you of the opportunity to worship. It is time that we honor the Lord and consider His words as the Body and Bride of Christ!

From the Heart,
Pastor BR

1 comment:

UPDATED TRAINING

 Recently I attended a training seminar sharpening my skills as a chaplain and minister. The training was centered around working with group...